Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Review: Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur (KEERT)

Milk and Honey.jpg
Book Title: Milk and Honey
Author: Rupi Kaur
Series: None
Genres: Poetry, Nonfiction, Feminism
Date Read: 6/23/17
Rating: 5 stars

Milk and Honey is a collection of poems that explores different themes such as abuse, loss, pain, love, healing, and femininity. The book is split into 4 chapters. The first chapter explores abuse, the second looks at falling in love, the third deals with loss, and the fourth is about healing. This collection of poems is a wonderful look into life, love and loss.

Okay, first of all, I have to say I LOVED this book but I completely understand why people may evoke the completely opposite reaction. It's a love or hate thing but I find beauty in simplicity. From the very first page, I felt myself connecting with these poems and with Rupi's experiences. I myself may not have been a victim of abuse but as a woman I can understand where such feelings would come from. The suggestion that your body exists merely to please someone else. I may not have connected as strongly with the first chapter, "the hurting", but the rest of the chapters felt as though they were written for me and that is how I feel poetry should be. You either connect with it or you don't.

The second chapter, "the loving", explores those exciting days of new relationships and falling in love. You would expect these poems to be more romantic, and while a lot of them were, some just weren't. You can see how some of the hurting and the abuse have been carried forward into her new relationship. The third chapter, "the breaking", quickly contrasts the previous with heart-wrenching descriptions of what it feels like to go through a breakup and the loneliness that follows.

"the healing" chapter was my favorite. Just full of uplifting, inspiring, thoughtful pieces.The poems are so powerful and full of emotion and they really touched me. The book was just deep, honest, raw, beautiful, heartbreaking, passionate.

I love knowing how writing this book helped heal her after her experiences because simply reading it helped heal some of mine.

Thanks for reading!

Love,

Keert

No comments:

Post a Comment