Monday, July 10, 2017

Review: Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson (KEERT)

Scarlett Fever.jpg
Book Title: Scarlett Fever
Author: Maureen Johnson
Series: Scarlett #2
Genres: Chick Lit, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Date Read: 7/9/17
Rating: 2 stars

Meh.

Big, huge piles of meh.

I wish I liked this. I do. It's light and fluffy. But every single character is unlikeable. Even the characters I genuinely enjoyed in the first book are unlikeable. And that's a problem.

I don't even know where to begin with this. How about having someone deeply obnoxious and irritating as the completely obvious love interest? How about the horrible way Lola is treated by her family when she gets married? ("We can fix this. You can get it undone. I don't care, just fix it!") How about the first book's most unlikeable character, Marlene, just being 100 times worse in this one? Mrs Amberson still being an obnoxious twit?

Spencer's storyline started out great, and continued to get great, but even he couldn't save this train wreck.

And for a book I wasn't entirely invested in, that ending was deeply unsatisfying, and just plain confusing. What a weird spot to end a book on. If it weren't for the "end of disc" music that occurs with these audiobooks, I would think my copy was missing chapters.

Deeply unsatisfying, and annoying.

Love,

Keert

No comments:

Post a Comment